Richard Gillingwater becomes 5th supporting Chair alongside Sarah Bates, Sir John Kingman, Mark Tucker and David Tyler
Board Members from 43 FTSE100 companies are members of Chapter Zero
Chapter Zero supporting UK Board Directors to include climate change on the Board Agenda as part of the WEF’s Climate Governance Initiative
24 March 2020, London
Richard Gillingwater, Chairman of SSE plc and Janus Henderson Group, as well as Senior Independent Director of Whitbread plc, has become the 5th FTSE company Chair to support Chapter Zero. Richard joins Mark Tucker, Chairman of HSBC Holdings plc, Sir John Kingman, Chairman of Legal & General Group plc, David Tyler, Chairman of Hammerson plc, and Sarah Bates, Chairman of Merian Global Investors and Polar Capital Technology Trust.
“In these exceptionally difficult times, Richard’s experience and support will be invaluable for Chapter Zero and our members as we ensure that climate change continues to be addressed in the boardroom, and that learnings from one crisis inform our response to the other major challenge of our time,” said Julie Baddeley, Chair of the Chapter Zero Steering Group.
Chapter Zero was launched as part of the World Economic Forum’s Climate Governance Initiative in June 2019 to help UK Non-Executive Directors to have high quality and effective Boardroom discussions and to debate and understand the impacts of climate change on their businesses. Today, more than 700 Directors have joined the initiative, with 43 FTSE100 Boards having at least one member. By COP26 Chapter Zero expects membership to exceed 1,000.
For media enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTES FOR EDITORS
The purpose of Chapter Zero is to help Non-Executive Directors become more familiar with the potential risks and opportunities for businesses covering the full spectrum of commercial activity as a consequence of climate change, and to bring this understanding to their Board discussion. We provide a forum where the non-executive community can enhance its knowledge, understanding and experience of this complex and critical business challenge. Chapter Zero does this by:
- Running climate change briefings, round tables, workshops and conferences with our partners – all relevant for the Board agenda
- Making members aware of other relevant events they may wish to attend: for example on risk assessment, reporting, scenario planning, opportunity assessment, decision analysis
- Bringing together investors, regulators, company directors, plus key experts to learn from and influence each others’ perspectives
- Making available briefing materials, toolkits, films, and online courses to enable directors to develop their knowledge
- Developing a catalogue of where to go for help as an engaged board
- Giving access to the World Economic Forum online materials
- Providing a forum where directors can share experience and debate issues
Chapter Zero Steering Committee:
- Julie Baddeley, Chair
- Carol Bell
- Rosemary Boot
- Susan Hooper
- Robert Jennings
- Gillian Karran-Cumberlege
- Karina Litvack
- Patrick Mitchell
Further details of Chapter Zero’ goals and forthcoming activities, as well as enrolment information for membership, can be found on www.chapterzero.org.uk.
Chapter Zero Limited, registered as a company limited by guarantee (12062028) in England and Wales.