Our May Bulletin brings you the latest updates and initiatives to keep you informed on the climate challenge and help you to ask the right questions in the boardroom.
- Chapter Zero now has a membership of more than 800 (750 in April).
- 44 of the companies in the FTSE 100 have at least one Chapter Zero board member. The chapter now has members on 138 boards in the FTSE 350.
Latest Chapter Zero news
- Our new Climate Change Strategy and Action toolkit will be launched in June.
- On 29 April 2020, Rain Newton-Smith, Chief Economist at the CBI, spoke to our members as part of Chapter Zero’s webinar on The business response to the climate challenge. View the press release here and watch the webinar here.
- Our Directors’ Climate Journey was launched in April, setting out eight steps to help non-executives initiate and participate effectively in conversations about how to respond to the climate challenge. You can view it here.
- Chapter Zero and the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership hosted the webinar: How can Boards deliver Net Zero carbon business strategy? Read the report from the event, held on 18 May 2020, here.
Register for our upcoming webinars
Climate risk and the role of the board
Tuesday, 9 June | 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM
Join our panel as they consider the key drivers of physical and transition risks, an evaluation of corporate responses, emerging best practice for reporting and what this means for boards.
Jo Paisley, Co-president of the GARP Risk Institute will be joined by the following speakers:
- William McDonnell – Group CRO, RSA
- Zoe Knight – Group Head, HSBC Centre of Sustainable Finance; Managing Director, HSBC Holdings Plc
- Phil Fitz-Gerald – Director, Financial Reporting Lab
- Dylan Tanner – Executive Director and Co-Founder, Influence Map
Climate change resilience: scenario planning workshop
Thursday, 11 June | 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM
This interactive online session will consider how to develop scenarios to illustrate the potential business impacts of climate change action and associated risks and opportunities. The workshop will then explore how to translate this into changes in company value and cash flow.
Equipping boards to navigate climate change
Wednesday, 17 June | 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM
PwC has worked with the World Economic Forum to develop a Climate Governance Review Framework for companies to assess how well they are implementing the Principles. This facilitated discussion will explore how NEDs can encourage their Boards and companies to take steps to navigate climate change.
In addition to PwC experts, speakers will include:
- Fredrik Galtung – Founder CEO, True Footprint
- Mardi McBrien – Managing Director, CDSB
- Karina Litvack – Non-executive Director, Eni Group, and Chapter Zero Steering Group member
Click here to view the full list of our on-line events planned for 2020. Several more are under development.
Trending in May
Calls for COVID-19 aid to be aligned with climate goals and recovery
Over 150 companies, which together operate across 33 countries and claim a collective market capitalisation of $2.4tr, have signed a statement backed by the UN Secretary-General that asks governments around the world to align their COVID-19 economic aid and recovery efforts with science-based climate goals. It is the largest UN-backed, chief executive-led climate effort, coordinated by Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) and its Business Ambition for 1.5C campaign partners We Mean Business and the UN Global Compact.
Earlier this month, over 300 businesses (including Microsoft, Visa and Salesforce) participated in Lead on Climate 2020, the largest-ever call to action from the business community, calling on members of the U.S. Congress to build back better.
You can also read Julie Baddeley’s open letter in the Financial Times, asking business leaders to Build Back Better together.
Shareholder resolutions grow on climate change
We are seeing an increasing move towards shareholder resolutions being put forward on climate change.
Take a look at ShareAction’s European tracker on published shareholder resolutions.
Carney states every professional decision must take climate into account
You might be interested in this discussion featuring Mark Carney and Malcolm Turnbull.
“You can’t wish away systemic risk,” says Carney, in response to the key learning from COVID-19. “In the end, a small investment upfront can save a tremendous cost down the road.” Watch the full webinar here.
Edie’s Mission Possible Report 2020 provides the latest in sustainability news, exploring how a green recovery from COVID-19 can be achieved across UK’s biggest industries. Read the report here.
Committee on Climate Change announces six principles for resilient recovery
During January 2020, Lord Deben, Chairman of the independent Committee on Climate Change spoke to a group of our members. We are pleased to share the CCC’s recommendations to Government to prioritise actions according to the six principles for a resilient recovery here.
Climate Strategy and Action toolkit – coming soon
In June 2020, Chapter Zero will launch a Change Management toolkit to help boards create and implement climate change strategies. The framework includes case studies from 10 market leaders and some of our members’ companies. It was created by consultancy Eden McCallum.
Our webinars available on demand
The speakers were Rain Newton-Smith, Chief Economist at the CBI; David Tyler, Chairman at Hammerson plc; Susan Hooper, NED at Uber UK, Wizz Air and Affinity Water; and Rowan Douglas, Head of the Climate Resilience Hub at Willis Towers Watson.
Chapter Zero: Directors’ Climate Journey
In April we launched the Chapter Zero Directors’ Climate Journey, eight steps to enable you to initiate and participate effectively in the conversation about business’s climate response. The framework will also help the board support the executive team to develop a strategy to respond to the climate challenge.
Let us know your feedback on step 1 by selecting one of the following:
- My thoughts on step 1 of the Chapter Zero Directors’ Climate Journey are…
- I have completed all of the seven foundational steps of the Chapter Zero Directors’ Climate Journey and I have the following overall thoughts…
Resources available to you
Chapter Zero curates the latest in thought-leadership on the topic of climate and the impact on your business. Click here for the easy to use summary of the most recent publications from third parties added to our website repository.
Chapter Zero are now using the secure Board Intelligence portal to publish, read, annotate and share comments on the forum’s board papers. We are grateful for the support of the Board Intelligence team which is helping our own Steering Group function effectively, especially while we are all working remotely.
Please let us know of any changes to your board appointments so that our records are kept up to date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org